Friday, October 7, 2011

Goals

I did a bit of thinking today and I decided that I should set some goals.  I was thinking that with my schedule the way it is, I could get a lot of work done every other week.  So after going over what I've already written I've decided that a max of a thousand words a day isn't too hard a goal to achieve.  It just means that I'll have to keep pushing myself to write something, even when I don't feel like writing.  My minimum is about five hundred words.  This way no matter what I write something and I don't feel pushed.  The challenge will be balancing my writing goals with life in general.  That's where things get tricky, as we all know.

Another goal I decided to set was the amount of reading I haven't been doing.  I have stacks and stacks of books and most of them haven't been touched.  It's either that or I've gotten halfway through and I never finished it.  I listen to plenty of audio books but that's still no excuse for not finishing the books I have.  Just recently I picked up The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova for about two bucks used.  I've been wanting to read it for a while and snatched it up as fast as I could for that price.  Hopefully it's worth the read.  So the goal for reading is a minimum of one hour every day, including work days.  We'll see how well I can accomplish each goal.  Also I'm not sure if comic books should count or not...

Just finished writing a scene between Galen and the angel.  For everyone unfamiliar with the story the angel is the one who God sent to Galen to recruit him as a warrior.  I'm trying to decide whether to post character profiles and put in excerpts from my book.  Just another one of those trying to decide what to reveal and what not reveal problems.  We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I always wonder about what to reveal also. I sometimes include tiny excerpts, but I haven't posted anything that would compromise a plot point, or even given much context to those excerpts. It's like taking a single grape off of the vine and putting it on the table. That's pretty much my rule of thumb right now.

    ReplyDelete