Sunday, March 11, 2012

Where Have You Been All My Life?

So yeah long periods of time between posts...but oh well.  Forcing myself to write a post doesn't really produce very good results.  Now forcing myself to write in my book is not a bad idea though sometimes I don't really get the results I want, but the point is I get something on the page.  Now have I been following that rule....not really.  My fault and I fully admit it but I'm working on it.  I'm trying to take charge of my writing life and writing in here is part of the process.

Another part is taking care of the other little details most people don't think should be done till much later.  A friend of mine is designing a symbol for me that I'm going to incorporate into my story more cause it's just plain kick ass cool.  That and it'll add another dimension to the story that most people I talk to find pretty cool...(thanks Harold, Jackie, Jaron, and Rachel!)  I think it will add to the characters actions, how he decides to do what he does, and what direction he goes.  I've even begun creating picture folders for my characters on my computer.  I'm casting actors I like in the roles I think they'd be good in.  This way I have a visual to look to if I ever need to speak to my characters face to face. 

The symbol is also exciting cause it means I'll have something to put on promotional bookmarks and business cards for myself to help promote my book.  It's definitely going to feel a bit surreal with my name on a business card, but hey whatever helps. 

On another note a coworker of mine just published his first book.  He's also going the self publishing route by printing his book out on lulu.com and using their amazon resources to sell it.  Advertising at work and carrying a few copies with him at all times also help him sell.  I bought a copy but I haven't read it yet.  He's also doing a sort of heaven and hell thing with archangels giving super powers to a group of people to provide God some amusement.  Here's a link to the lulu marketplace to purchase: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/chosen/18890165  I haven't read it yet so I don't know much about it and can't give it a decent review but once I do I'll let you guys know.  The concept looks really cool and he got an artist to do some great illustrations.  I'm checking out lulu to see how much it would cost to print out some preview pamphlets for CONduit.  They've got a template I might be able to use to just print them out myself since really all I want is a simple staple copy.  It's just a matter of finding someone with a printer who's willing to help me out since I don't have one right now. 

Some great things coming up in the next couple of months.  We got the A to Z challenge and CONduit.  Oh and did I mention it's my birthday this month? :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, lots of great news! I could probably help you print up some pamphlets, although my printer acts a little weird sometimes. I'm excited for CONduit, if we all decide to go. Should be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete