Monday, September 17, 2012

New Worlds





Despite my motto of not doing more than one project at a time, I've found myself taking on another project.  I'm still working on my novel but an old idea looked at in a new way has caught my interest.  Last year around Halloween time I came up with a haunted house story idea that just didn't go anywhere.  Basically it was a what if idea about real life monsters and creatures living in a haunted house and earning a living by scaring people.  This haunted house was owned by a young man who basically took care of everyone there.  I decided to look at it in a different point of view.  Instead of starting in the middle of the story I've decided to start from the beginning.  How did this guy come to own the place?  What's his story?  Thus my newly minted untitled project.

I was thinking it would be a great story to write then turn into a movie script.  Others have said it would make a great television series or mini series.  I guess we'll see.  Depends on how much material I can come up with.  In the meantime I've decided that I'm going to write it as a series here on my blog.  Keeps me attached to the blog and keeping it up to date, and gives people something more to do than just listen to my ramblings, not of course that that's a bad thing ;)

I still need to come up with a title and how I'm going to format it.  It'll be nice getting some feedback and hopefully it'll also generate some traffic here.  Part of keeping up traffic is also keeping up with the blogs that I want to read.  So much blog reading to do and so little time...er lack of internet connection...and I can't do that sort of thing at work normally so it'll be tricky.

I like the new story idea and it's being done in the first person which is a great challenge.  Not very many people like writing in the first person and it makes you so much more aware of how you're writing.  I don't know about anyone else but third person past tense is so natural it just happens.  You don't think about it and it falls trippingly off the tongue, or pen, or keyboard.  That being said I think this story wouldn't come off well if I did it third person past tense.  It just seems to scream first person present tense.  Nice little exercise all around.


Halloween is coming up and I can't wait.  It's a great time of year and it seems to gear up the creative juices.  Not just for horror stories either.  I don't know what it is about the holiday but something just puts me in a creative mood.  It's so much fun and of course it's Fall, my favorite time of year.  I just feel so much better right about now.





Not giving up on Harbinger of course, that's my pride and joy baby right there.  Doing both stories and I made a deal with myself.  For every page or paragraph or sentence that I write in the new story I have to do the same in the other.  It's only fair.  All of your kids need the same amount of attention, even if you know that one of them is definitely your favorite.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really good plan! I'm looking forward to reading more of your new story, as well as Harbinger.

    ReplyDelete